Efficacy of a Transcranial Vibrating System for Minimizing Dizziness During Caloric Testing
Testing for vestibular dysfunction often induces dizziness and nausea, to the point that testing cannot be completed. The investigators will use a "transcranial vibration system" that has shown promise in improving comfort during testing for vestibular disorders. The investigators hypothesize that with this "transcranial vibration system", the dizziness and nausea associated with caloric testing will be significantly reduced, while the clinical measures derived from the test will not be statistically significantly altered.
- Vestibular Function Tests
- Eligible Ages
- Between 18 Years and 65 Years
- Eligible Genders
- Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Subject can speak and comprehend English.
- Subject can stand a strap placed on their head for an hour.
- History of head injury within the last six months
- Presence of severe aphasia
- History of diagnosed neuropsychiatric disorders
- Documented neurodegenerative disorders
- Pregnancy [Female candidates will be asked if they are pregnant]
- History of Cerebrovascular disorders
- History of ear operation other than myringotomy and tube placement in the past
- Study Type
- Intervention Model
- Sequential Assignment
- Intervention Model Description
- First phase: test 20 subjects. They will undergo the "caloric testing" part of the standard vestibular testing, with and without our transcranial vibration system (10 with device on then off, 10 with device off then on) and will describe their state on a "visual analog scale" (both dizziness and nausea) at the end. Success is 1) substantially reduced dizziness ad nausea, 2) statistically unchanged clinical measures. If (and only if) the first phase is successful, we proceed to the second phase. Second phase: identical to first phase, but is conducted with patients coming in the clinic for vestibular testing. The order ("device on" first, or second) will be randomly assigned.
- Primary Purpose
- Single (Outcomes Assessor)
- Masking Description
- Subject in both phases will immediately know whether the transcranial vibrating system is on. Analysis of outcomes (1-dizziness, 2-nausea, 3-clinical measures from vestibular nystagmography resulting from the caloric testing) will be blinded.
Efficacy of vibrating system on healthy volunteers
Efficacy of vibrating system on vestibular patients
- NCT ID
- Otolith Labs
Study ContactLaura Castellon